In 1887 the Sisters of Mercy, at the request of Bishop Doyle, came to provide a Catholic education for the children of Casino. The school was previously led by a teacher and had been operating for 3 years from 1884. The Sisters started our school with 40 students.
By 1890 a boarding school had been established to enable country children to share the facilities available to the children of the township. Such was the progress made that it was necessary to erect a new convent which was blessed and opened by the Archbishop of Melbourne, the Most Reverend Daniel Mannix in 1923.
Over the years, the Sisters of Mercy followed in the footsteps of their founder Catherine McAuley. They taught and helped the children and families of our school, helped the sick and the lonely of our Casino community.
The last Sister of Mercy Principal of SMP was Sister Christine Austin who left the school in 1985 and the first lay Principal, Mr David Condon came the following year.
The last teaching Sister of Mercy, Sister Josephine left our school in 1992. Sisters Mary and Francis still teach music to our students today.
As the population in Casino continued to increase, so did the demand for Catholic education. New buildings were erected to cater for the demands on 26 March 2012 blessed by Most Reverend Geffrey Jarrett, Bishop of Lismore.